encrypt - Unbuntu 20.04 full ZFS install
Here we are going to install Ubuntu 20.04 in almost full zfs updating zsys-setup to permit zfs encryption. Read bellow articles to understand why 2 differerent pools and full implementation.
- ZFS focus on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: what’s new?
- ZFS focus on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: ZSys general presentation
- ZFS focus on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: ZSys sate management
- ZFS focus on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: ZSys commands for state management
- ZFS focus on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: ZSys state collection
- ZFS focus on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: ZSys for system administrators
- ZFS focus on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: ZSys partition layout
- ZFS focus on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: ZSys dataset layout
- ZFS focus on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: ZSys properties on ZFS datasets
initial boot and ssh
Boot the Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop installer/live CD.
Click the “Try Ubuntu” button.
launch a terminal.
set a passwd to root to permit remote ssh
$ sudo su ## passwd New password : Retype new passord : passwd: password updated successfully
Install ssh to simplfy configuration edit.
## apt install ssh
Edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config to Enable PermitRootLogin change prohibit-password to yes like bellow.
#PermitRootLogin prohibit-password PermitRootLogin yes
service ssh restart
find yout IP with : ip a
then connect remotely with : ssh
update zsys-setup to enable zfs encryption on rpool
The zsys-setup script is here : /usr/share/ubiquity/zsys-setup
bpool remain unencrypt.
Search for “zpool create”, and make sure you have found the create command that has “rpool” on the last line.
Before the “zpool create” insert: echo MYPASSWORD |
Before the last line of the command insert these lines:
-O recordsize=1M \ -O encryption=aes-256-gcm \ -O keylocation=prompt \ -O keyformat=passphrase \
you may be interrested if you are on a laptop in : right fit swap for laptop hibernation Ubuntu 20.04 full ZFS install
Run ubiquity to start the installer and install as normal, selecting “Use entire disk” and the option to use ZFS.
questions to be solves
- what happen if zpool passwd is not given at boot shutdown ?
- find a way to shut it down pass a delay